Monday, July 9, 2012

A collection of studies - some inspiration

Hey guys, I thought I'd come and share a bunch of my studies with you. I do these generally over lunchtimes at work, and vary what I do on a week to week and day to day basis. My main goal with a lot of these is mainly understanding. And understanding of how light or colour works... or the way shadows fall in a room or on a face. And understanding of my own shortcomings... composition sketches often show me how my brain defaults to the same actions over and over again and forces me to try and break those habits to get more interesting images.

Composition: work solely in black and white to break down places in an image and work with fore, mid and backgrounds. No more than 5 -10 minutes per frame. Ideally much less than that. Start with a light 'gradient' in the frame.








Light and colour in environment: working with colour from the start, trying to figure out how palettes work  - often one image relies on a low number of overall colors. Usually around 30mins to an hour each. I tend to either google these images or browse dA's photography sections.





Faces/people: a mix of greyscale and colour. usually any number of reasons for studying -  anatomy, light, form, colour. There are literally an infinite number of possibilities with faces. If I'm looking just at form I usually study busts as there's no colour to confuse. If i'm looking at overall body I often resort to lineowrk as it's much quicker and achievable in my lunch hour. These range from about 1-2hours for the colour/black and white, and 30 mins or so for each linework study. Sources include Conceptart's paint from what does everyone look like thread (in the lounge),  dA's stock section and googling for street fashion.
















2 comments:

  1. Wow thanks for sharing this amazing collection of studies, Sam! You already know my opinion of just how amazing it is to know how productive pro artists have to be to keep up their game in the industry. I think when we're just learning, we often forget how much time it takes realistically for artists, even pros, to produce the work that they do.

    I think there's this mental image of a pro magically drawing *just* the right thing. We don't know the hours of extra study that goes into learning the how, why, and where of the art.

    It's always inspiring to me to see the knitty gritty of it. Thanks very much for sharing and keeping it real.:) It's encouraging me to get off my but and do MORE studies. It's the little exercises that really count towards brushing up our basic fundamentals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Sam, seeing your work makes me realize how awesome I will likely never be, but it also gives me the push to keep working. Great studies!

    ReplyDelete